Typos Happen -- please contact us with any errors you find -- thank you!

Wednesday

Healthful Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour Blends

These flours are great for cookies, cakes, plus quick and yeast breads, thus making them pretty much all purpose. So grab your favorite cookbook and get baking!

1/2 cup sweet rice flour
1/2 cup teff flour
1/2 cup white buckwheat flour
1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1 3/4 cups brown rice flour
2 cups cornstarch
2 cups potato starch

looking for a bit lighter, more cake flour type blend? try this one:

2 cups sweet rice flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca flour

2 t of double acting baking powder

Here's another lighter mix:
1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup sweet rice flour
1/4 cup potato starch


Either way:
Store in an air tight container with tight-fitting lid.
WHISK before using.
Will stay shelf stable for at least a couple of months if it does not get hot. otherwise, fridge it!


8 comments:

Dr. Jean Layton said...

Where do you get white buckwheat flour?
thanks for the mix recipe, I want to check it out with my recipes.

Nicole -- Benevolent Baker said...

regular buckwheat flour will work just fine - - the white is just for looks. I don't find it that often myself -- I sometimes find it at South Asian markets, I used to use Bob's Red Mill, but since it's not made in a dedicated facility anymore I use Arrowhead Mills -- I may try grinding my own soon -- food process buckwheat groats.

Evan said...

I have a recipe for banana bread that calls for 2 cups of rice flour, can I substitute this for 2 cups of GF all purpose baking flour mix??

Nicole -- Benevolent Baker said...

Evan,
Yes, you can use this in replacement of the rice flour in your banana bread recipe!

-Nicole

E said...

Hello Nicole,

I have been unable to buy sorghum or teff flour; do you have suggestions of other flours to substitute?

Thank-you

Nicole -- Benevolent Baker said...

E -- The other flours I would suggestion are probably going to be just as difficult for you to find if sorghum isn't around, but you can try substituting chestnut flour, quinoa flour, or millet flour -- changing the sorghum and/or the teff will create a new flour blend recipe -- all are are available online, most common manufacturer is Bob's Red Mill (not for the chestnut, the best of those are often Italian brands), and the best prices, last I checked, were on Amazon.com -- but feel free to use the other blends of flour which don't call for either of those flours -- let me know what you go with and what the result are!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I see this is an older post, but I do grind my own buckwheat flour in a coffee grinder, then sift it to get out any remaining larger bits. The resulting flour is soft and fluffy and quite delicious. I learned that the "regular" buckwheat flour is ground from toasted buckwheat, which I find has a harsher flavor than raw buckwheat. And the regular flour has a grayish color that too closely matches our Oregon skies!

Mary Garrard

Benevolent Kitchen said...

Yes, most buckwheat is a grey brown color and can have a toasted nut overtone.
This is not always a bad nor an issue of interruption, especially when working with a chocolate recipe.
Making your own flour is a great idea! Make what you need when you need it certainly makes ingredients lasts longer, thus saving money.
For those who, for whatever reason, cannot make their own, prepackaged light or dark buckwheat flour will work well.