Typos Happen -- please contact us with any errors you find -- thank you!

Thursday

Escarole with Garlic and Cannellini Beans

1 bunch of escarole
3 cloves of garlic
1 can of cannellini beans


rip the chard into smaller sized piece, feel free remove the leaves from the stems.
you can chop the stems finely and us them too!
chop the garlic.
saute the chard in the olive oil, keeping the pan covered until the chard has reduced to at least half.
while that cooks down, saute the garlic until lightly browned.
these should finish around the same time.
(want to use just one pan? star the garlic and just when then become soft add the chard and finish cooking the garlic and the chard together).
when the chard is cooked to the tenderness of your liking pour the drained can of cannellini beans into the pan and cook until the temperature is uniform.
(you can use the liquid for the can as a 'sauce' by adding it all to the pan, but most folks find that way too starchy).

OPTIONS
any soft bean will do, I just like white beans
when ready to serve, this works very well with tuna -- steak or in a can

5 comments:

Smilinginheaven said...

I do a variation of this, but once again my family prefers spinach! Also adding a cup of homemade chicken stock can turn this into a great soup! (Add some italian sausage or favorite meat...Also very good with meat subsitute crumbles or tofu!)

Smilinginheaven said...

I also prefer to soak and cook my own beans...HUGE reduction in the amount of sodium!

Nicole -- Benevolent Baker said...

depends on the canned beans -- some are quite low in sodium -- I try to get folks to eat other greens besides the common ones, plus escarole, kale, and others are more nutritionally packed than spinach.

Anonymous said...

I make this very same recipe but use kale because it has more of an al dente quality to it than the escarole. I love greens but prefer the ones with a bite rather than the soft ones. And, I use homemade chicken broth defatted and sodium free, and like Smilinginheaven, I cook my own beans. I am a CHF patient so have to watch my sodium intake very carefully. This is an easy and delicious dish to make and enjoy.

Nicole -- Benevolent Baker said...

kale is delicious alternative -- most any green would work -- but the ones with lots of natural flavor seem to work best. Thanks for sharing!