12 ounces elbow macaroni (I prefer Tinkyada pasta)
1/4 cup white onion, diced
3T butter (or ghee or margarine)
2T potato starch or cornstarch (OPTIONAL)
2 cups whole milk
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1/4 t hot pepper sauce
1 T mustard
3 cups (12 ounces) Sharp Cheddar cheese, (from Wisconsin of course), shredded, divided
3/4 cup bread crumbs (I prefer Aleia's or Schar's)
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Cook macaroni just a bit under done. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Sauté onion in melted butter until transparent. Blend in starch, stirring well to incorporate, and cook for an additional minute, stirring.
- Gradually whisk milk into butter and flour mixture.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Over low heat, add salt, pepper, hot sauce and mustard.
- Stir in 2 1/2 cups cheese.
- Add drained cooked macaroni to cheese sauce and mix well.
- Place macaroni mixture in buttered, oven proof, 9” x 9” dish.
- Top with remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until top is golden brown.
Swiss Melt with Bacon and Artichoke Hearts
Grilled Portobello and Provolone Sandwich
ALL Recipes, (unless otherwise noted), are copyright the Benevolent Kitchen and Benevolent Baker and are intended for PERSONAL USE ONLY. Images are for illustration purposes only.